Wednesday, June 3, 2015

How am I Whack?

  For a long time, a few people, including small label executives, and so-called avid music listeners, have sworn that they don't particularly listen to my stuff, or my "type of stuff," or like it, not because of it not coming from an established name they are familiar with, but because my material is legitimately whack. A workmate of mine, keeps going on with that as his little running joke. We constantly get into these "BAR" discussions. In fact, the other day, I was asked about my top 5 favorite lyricists. Among them, I included Lupe Fiasco, and Rakim. They couldn't understand the Lupe selection. I explained that when you are talking about lyrical content as the basis for the argument, even if it's the delivery man, he has to be considered, so long as his work shows that. People can't separate preconceptions and evidence. I go to Genius.com sometimes to look up the breakdown of certain song lyrics that I like, and what I see is hilarious. The site is basically shallow and narrow minded listeners interpreting the lines of some of the artists that they consider deep. As a lyricist, I liked the concept, but there's no point in doing a site like this, unless deep thinkers are going to get involved. I looked up "City of Gods" by AZ, and watched as lines were misquoted, and some of the deepest lines in song either were skipped for obvious reasons, or completely went over the head of the commentators and were misinterpreted. It is so frustrating to see such a waste. I had a class in high school that specialized in analyzing works and compositions, and we as kids dug deeper than the clowns on that site.

 So, without further ado, the stage is YOURS listeners. This goes out to Chis, as well as all others who argue that I'm overlooked legitimately. It's your chance to point out how and why I'm so whack, in your opinion, that I don't deserve any attention at all. It's your chance to bring forward lyrics of you own, or the stuff you listen to and respect from your favorite artists, and stack them against these lyrics here, and show the gap. Show how those lyrics dwarf mine.

In the attached video, I have selected a few random songs from my career. I play through sections of them, and show the lyrics, as many hide behind the excuse that they can't hear me or understand me. There will be no excuses this time. The lyrics are there to criticize. Show me how they are foolish and whack. I didn't select my best songs either. I'm not a desperate artist. If you know me, you'd know I have work for days. I could have put my best stuff in, but there is no need, as the way I write is consistent. This is a video that you can pause, rewind, etc. Leave a comment if you dare on this page, or on youtube backing up your claim as to my lyrical prowess or whackness. The ball is in your court.

 Ignorant silence for those who have an argument, only shows the lack of faith in your argument, so I encourage you to say your peace. Have the courage to listen, and the courage to state your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment