Sunday, May 31, 2015

Love

Love has so many songs, and like the jazz standard, Speak Low says, is often misunderstood. Some time ago, I got a message from a buddy from a website I used to frequent for quite a few years, congratulating me, and encouraging me to continue doing what I love to do. The thing is that, my continuance puzzles a lot of people. Some wonder, how I keep this pace and energy with so little return of support or acknowledgement.

 I watched an interview the other day where ESPN analysts asked Wayne Brady why he considered it a joy even when he performed for pennies. They couldn't believe he was sincere when he said that it's due to loving what he does. It even led to an argument. Maybe a non-artist will never understand, but when you are in love with something as an artist, even you yourself can't properly gauge it. I've expected many times in the past to just burn out and retire, or give up. And I know there are many who await that as well. But the thing about it is, I don't have the ability to do that. I will always continue to push myself beyond my limits. And it will lead to either the grave or the throne. And it isn't because I want to. It's because I have to. It's hard for almost anybody to believe that an artist does something solely for passion. There's always that little cynicism deep down that assumes that fanfare is the ultimate goal. It's natural to want to be loved, and understood. But if this is what you really do, even if that never comes, you won't ever stop.


  There are so many changes going on in life, and it's at times like this that I look at what I'm doing and what I've done, and the layman inside me takes a glance and wonders what's holding me up. I'm actually running out of room to put my art pieces. This is over a year after vowing that I wouldn't do anymore. Even since my last album, I've somehow finished enough for another record. I'm just a different breed. Even when I relax, it's not conventional. I uncontrollably try to maximize how much I'm getting done, even when I'm laying back and taking it easy. But, I've learned to like this. As much as acceptance is aesthetic, there is a limit to some things. I must say, that in the future, there are certain events that I won't be able to share as freely as I have up until now, should there remain no firm foundation of support. But hey, nothing last forever they say. I'm hoping that won't be the case here, but that is something beyond my control. That's up to YOU as the readers.

By the way, play my Soundcloud Channel along with the gallery for the full effect. That's the closest thing to the full experience I was going to create.
CLICK HERE AND ADD MUSIC TO THE GALLERY

  Keep checking the "Coming of Age" art gallery online. There are new things going up. I'm hoping to expand it in the future.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ART GALLERY

No comments:

Post a Comment