Sunday, May 3, 2015

Fight Replay: Read Carefully, and Re-watch the Event

You know, I went back and watched this fight again like I did the fight between Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana. I have to give a shout out to SB Nation and Flounder for the excellent analysis. Listening to his podcast after the fight, I was reminded that there are people out there with brains who can analyze technique. I realize I wasn't crazy in my analysis of the Canelo vs. Mayweather fight. The fight was much closer than advertised. I went back once again, and analyzed the super fight this Saturday between Mayweather and Pacquiao. Here it is:

 After watching the replay on my computer, I find that the main swing rounds were actually rounds 9 and 10. I gave round 9 to Mayweather based on slightly more effective work. Round 10 was a Manny round that could have been stolen, depending on how a judge looks at it. I don't understand the debate over round 12. It was similar to the middle rounds in the fight with Danny Garcia vs. Lamont Peterson. Mayweather decided he would dance for that last round to be safe, and take shots if they came. Manny's defense was better than expected in that round, and he outlanded, and then chased Floyd, finishing strong. If you give that round to Mayweather, then you probably gave the swing rounds to him like most people apparently did. From an analytical point of view, even someone like myself, who favors the artist, and the boxer, there are rounds where aggressive pressure can outbox defensive movement and countering. It's part of the sweet science. Giving all of the swing rounds to Mayweather on my cards, I have it- 115-113 Mayweather or 7 rounds to 5. In my opinion, that is as far as I see it reasonably going. In all complete honesty, Flounder from SB Nation said he had Manny winning on his cards, and got blasted by his comrades on the podcast. I do not fault him for that score. If you honestly break the fight down, Manny could have taken that fight 115-113. I think Floyd deserved a win, but it could have gone either way.

  Flounder said something very interesting. He said, the way he judges fights is based off of activity and effectiveness. He said many people get caught up in Mayweather making you miss, and score those moments, which mean nothing offensively. He said that he makes it a point not to get caught up in that, like so many fans do. It's a way of selling the performance, that Mayweather does so well. He said also, that Bradley and Hopkins do that very well also. If you remember, Bradley did the exact same thing to Manny in the first fight, and was busy to boot, pinning Manny to the ropes, and hooking off combinations often, yet you all have no problem saying Manny destroyed him in that fight. Now, suddenly, the same approach, with less activity, swings the other way in public opinion. When Manny came in, he feinted and then used the straight to the body, followed by a jab upstairs, and occasionally a hook and uppercut to finish the combination. The combo worked effectively and landed shots for him during the lulls of the fight. When Mayweather  showed flash and punched at Manny's guard in return, suddenly, those jabs that were blocked, were not only scored, but erased the rushes of Manny. That is unfair scoring, and I think the main reason for everyone's perception of a Mayweather blowout, when in fact it was not one at all. Seeing the fight again, Floyd's movement really became a problem for Manny after the 10th round. It was only for a couple of rounds that it seemed to effectively frustrate him. There were many times that he landed very sharp jabs to Mayweather's face, and check hooks of his own, over the top, that the judges, commentators, and fans completely missed. In the 3rd Marquez fight, he won just like that. Everyone felt Marquez was ripping him apart, but on those Compubox numbers, it showed the subtle offense that Manny mounted. This fight, somehow, that was all missed, even by Compubox.

  Mayweather has a very tough body and head. He's the kind of fighter who doesn't really move much, even with clear shots. If you paid attention, he ate quite a few solid shots to the head and chest, that were not commented on, or scored. Also, a lot of his pot shots were answered, often with pot shots. It was a very interesting fight, because it's the kind of fight that would have been given to Manny with another opponent, on a given night. Yet, I'm not angry at the decision, just the scorecards.

 I understand that the A side of the card, and the love child of boxing and Vegas, has to get the benefit of the doubt. I just have a problem with the bashing of Manny, and the wide scorecards. I urge you to go back and watch the fight. I'm not calling it a robbery, but I wish people would appreciate the effort from both fighters and the event itself. I'm eager to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment