Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Fight of the Century..Sike

The super fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather. Floyd wins by a wide 117-11, 116-112,116-112 margin on the scorecards. It wasn't explosive, but it was effective. I was relieved to see that Floyd looked lean at the weigh-ins yesterday, and not roided up, as rumors led me to fear. I was able to watch this as a fan.

  Well, as I called it it sort of happened. First off, I have to get off my chest how shocked I was in the mega fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao, that Floyd's movement speed gave Manny trouble. I could have swore that Manny moved quicker. But Floyd moved better. His change of direction threw off Manny's straight counter constantly. Manny did land several shots of note down the pipe,  but there wasn't enough flurry boxing to please the judges and the fans. He never stepped to his right properly like he practiced to cut off the back door when walking Mayweather down. It's always different under the lights, and both fighters seemed tense in the fight. Manny hurt Floyd a couple of times, which was good. I think the judging was off however. I'm actually surprised that it wasn't scored closer. Manny had decent success, and there weren't many times he was being battered. It's amazing how depending on the time and circumstances, so-called sane people can see completely different things.

 I wouldn't call it a travesty in Mayweather getting the decision, but I am surprised that it wasn't scored closer, and that there wasn't more clamor that Pacman won. He not only applied pressure, but landed a decent amount of solid shots himself. I think, just like Canelo, the minute he decided to play chess, he completely lost the fans. Both he and Canelo did much better than they are given credit for. People just expected a KO or a  high paced affair. Since it was more strategic, they feel it must have been a boxing lesson by Mayweather, since they can't visually break it down and understand it. That wasn't necessarily the case. 

 I wanted Manny to sustain his attacks more, and step to his right to cut off Floyd's retreats more,  but he didn't do horribly like so many people keep saying. Mayweather's jab was better than I expected, mostly due to length. Manny was caught by right hands, but no more than in the Algieri and Bradley fights. He also landed more consistent shots than most previous Mayweather opponents. I lost even more faith in compubox. If you play the first fight with Bradley vs. Pacman next to this one, they were pretty identical, minus the higher amount of surges Pacman. If you just look at Bradley in that fight, next to Mayweather, defensively, and offensively, it was similar. With so much movement, I don't see where he landed 2 times as many punches. Very odd numbers. It's worthy of a rematch.

  I called a Mayweather KO, but I was surprised there too. Manny's defense was pretty impressive when Floyd did decide to press the attack. There wasn't enough action to live up to the greatest fight in history at all. In the end the proper guy won. The whole world was watching, and Mayweather won for all of the artists such as myself. He showed that grit, heart, speed, power, and aggression don't make a champion. It's love. He loves what he does. He's an artist, and in an age where so few appreciate that word, he shows that that fact doesn't matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment