Saturday, August 22, 2015

A Pretty Cool Dream About a Whack PPV Boxing Match

I just had the coolest dream about the whackest fight. It was about Mayweather vs Berto


I was attending the press conferences and some of the final media days, when Mayweather usually suddenly starts to drink truth serum, and talks about how easily he will win. He talks about how he is naturally bigger than Berto, faster, and stronger, and how if he is clipped, he knows how to take his shot and recover and take control. It was classic Mayweather. The odds makers around town are all talking about how lopsided the fight is. It looks like we're in some mid western state, or another country. It's a city where there is heavy traffic, but also a large river running through and around it. Mayweather and Berto happen to be walking around the city with their entourages and bumping into each other. I think I was a reporter or something. Mayweather finishes one of his rants, and decides to go for a swim around the entire town in the river. Berto find out shortly after, and jumps in the river as well to go for a swim.

  The swim turns into a competition, which is sort of cool. I personally start to feel like cracking Mayweather with a right hand, and promise that he won't recover from mine. I jump in the river as well and try to catch up with them, but can't get to them. After getting out, I walk the streets looking for a restaurant or something. After some time, I run into a dejected looking Berto walking with some reporters, who ask him what he feel his chances are. He feeds them the confident crap, and talks about how he would like to win about 9 or 10 rounds. I roll my eyes and turn the corner down a connecting side street. This is where it got so cryptic.

There's a card shop on the street. It's not just a regular shop. The shop advertises a card illusionist who can quickly shuffle cards into various shapes, and tell stories with them while he narrates. It sounds cool, so I walk in and see the guy. He starts to shuffle the cards and talks about sports and uses the cards as props. He starts a discussion about retirement, alluding to Mayweather retiring. He mentions those who retiring being wise at the point they make that decision. The way he says it is so eloquent that I'm pulled into the discussion. And then he says a very deep line that I still remember. He says, "Don't get angry at these warriors who seek to retire. It's often with the same passion that they all seek the rematch- Some guy who you now know met and beat the crap out of you. It's that way with life. They want to feel, and prove to themselves they can win outside of the ring, where it all matters, in that life they're unsure about."

 He said more, but that's what sticks in my memory. It's amazing, because usually ramblings like that in a dream can be idiotic when you wake up, but that is such a deep line of thought that I never, ever thought of that way. It makes me think of my novel- Reminiscer, where I talked in the early chapters about getting deeper ideas from a dormant and sleeping mind. The thing about the card guy, is that he was tying the sports world and examples into real life with his speech, and it wasn't a stretch. It made sense.  The more I thought about it, the more that it made sense for everyone. When people retire, often after being sick of work, months later they come back, visiting, antsy to work again. No matter how much they hated it, a part of them not only wants to keep busy, but also solved those unanswered questions in the rematch with life. It's a sense of fulfillment, that makes you seek out something new all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment