Friday, August 21, 2015

Maybe I'm a Hypocrite- AC Game Review

This is a review of the game I mentioned before- Armored Core: Last Raven

I just completed the game, and I must say that I realized something. While I still categorize this as a fraternity game, I've lost sight of where I stand in gaming. Fraternity games are something that I have championed  since long ago. They are actually what make gaming have substance. I had a feeling my opinion would change once I completed it. I couldn't help but remember old games like Amok for the Sega Saturn, and the Strike series on Playstation and Saturn. I forgot that I was in love with those games, in a time where few could hang with them. But back then, I was so hungry and free, I was able to dive into games I loved more than I can today.

 I used to spend hours navigating through games like Crusader: No Remorse, and going back to it recently, I wonder where I found the skill to finish that game. It is super complex. I vaguely remember frustration, but I was comfortable in games like that then. There are some games that I never got a chance to beat that are harder than hard. Armored Core is a game that I didn't get fully used to until the very end. The beautiful way that I beat the last boss was a culmination of all the work I put in. It was just very tough sticking it out that long.


It was a similar feeling to when I beat Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Portable. All of these games have so much to offer beyond a single playthrough. I found myself eager to dive back in. I only wish more mech pieces were accessible. I've seen other mech games that aren't on Armored Core level, but have an insane amount of available parts. To me, that's the charm of this genre.  I'm looking forward to diving further in soon. I think the fact that they churn out some many Core games, they spread their inventory thin. The game has a relatively few amount of missions. But it does have an arena battle mode, and replays available. Personally, I like for a game to have quick play modes like that, as a bonus. But I also want my games, especially the hard ones, to have a decent amount of levels. Maybe 10 minimum, and they have to be long stages. I don't like to remember the beginning of a game vividly, as I beat it. That's a sign that it was too short. Even a compact action game should abide by those rules.

 Nonetheless, I enjoyed the game, and feel super proud that I conquered it. Not the ultimate experience, but fulfilling. I give this game a 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment