Thursday, January 14, 2016

Music Purchases and Artist Support

I just wanted to stop by here to leave a specified Facebook note. This is to address what some might not be familiar with when it comes to the music industry, and my material. I’ve been involved with music at a serious level for close to 10 years. My first copyrighted album “Pariah” was released in September of 2006. But I don’t count that as the start of my serious work. I did what could be called more like “promo” work from that point until about late 2009, after I went to school, and when I began networking with producers and technicians to work on future projects. Pariah was a good and passionate album, but I wouldn’t push it at this point, as a professional release. I got professional backing on “The Turning Point,” “I Don’t Believe in Rome,” and “If.” While I had numerous other works, they weren’t professional releases. On the “Magnum Opus” series, I launched official campaigns and had professional teams come in and tighten it all up. The process is exhaustive.

  The other day I was reading some of the lyrics from Alessia Cara, who’s single, “Here,” along with Drake’s “Hotline Bling,” is becoming the most overplayed pair of songs I’ve heard in my life. I really appreciated the effort that went into the lyrics and production for the songs, but I must admit, I was ready to bash them for the over exposure. Then I read about how much footwork Alessia put in, at her young age to get the work in and to the point she’s at, and I could relate instantly. I had to respect that. I said in an interview that I did recently, that I would love to work most of all on a collab with David Bowie because of his creativity. This was about 1 or 2 days before he died. I watched people bash what they thought were filler tracks on his last album, “Black Star.” When I sat back and thought about it, I said, “This dude was dying of cancer the entire time he made the record.” Yet, there are people who find the album meaningless.
  People sometimes don’t know how much work goes into putting together music projects. Even I made some mistakes in the past. After several months, my last album is about to be on Itunes. It took so much money and effort to get to this point. When you see someone with a music project that they are presenting professionally, give them a chance and an ear, whether it’s me or anyone else. Listening is so important. Never think that because you don’t know them, or because you know them personally from somewhere in either school or work, or because they’re a Triple A star, that work didn’t go into that project like any other. Please support these projects just like you would your friend who’s a tax preparer, or barber. These are professional pieces. David Bowie didn’t just make filler tracks. No one knows how much sweat and blood went into that last record.

No comments:

Post a Comment