Thursday, October 26, 2017

Kneeling for the Anthem



  I was going to stay quiet, but I just got nudged over the edge. I asked myself if I had enough to say on this to bother with a blog, and I still don't really know. But I have to say something. Another article I just skimmed past is talking about how the most qualified to speak on how wrong or right kneeling for the anthem are army veterans. This one talks about a former Steelers player who says that the protests never should have gotten this far. This whole thing is beyond missing the point, and it is on my last nerve. I'm not a protester at all myself, but I do have sense, or what used to be sense.

  There are many people who do not participate in, or stand for the anthem, perhaps at one time or another. Some of them are even patriotic, such as Jerry Jones. The point that one person made is that disrespect to the veterans is an oxymoron, because they fought for the very right to do that.

   This anger and backlash at the protest has nothing to do with respect for military and flag, and I'm sick of that scapegoat. I've listened to countless debates on ESPN and FS1, where they continue to dance around the topic. The most honest people I've seen thus far, have been Shannon Sharpe, and Max Kellerman. I'm talking about calling it down the middle. The thing is that this whole situation has revealed 2 things in America. 1 is how deep racism still is in this country, and 2- how much American citizens worship the flag without realizing they do. When you say that the flag is worshipped, people will tell you that you are off-base to say that. Now, the fact that it IS an object of worship is clearer than ever. The sacredness of a ceremony of reverence for it is being placed high above respect and dignity for a race of people.

 For you to take such aggregious offense at players respectfully choosing to kneel during an anthem, due to issues that are being ignored by the heads of the government it represents, speaks volumes about what you are hiding in your chest. People keep spewing nonsense about veterans, wars, and respect for the people, and it has nothing to do with that. I can observe that myself from third person perspective. It is the same thing that minorities did in the 60's. And the sad truth is that, with all of this fire spitting going on, just think- if those protests weren't done, society would still consider it the norm to treat blacks like chattel, and everyone would accept it.

  Protest, as I understand it, has to cause disruption and uncomfortableness.  That is how the players are using their platform. No one is burning flags, or holding up profane signs aimed at any race or select people. And yet, the response to the protest is as if that was the case. Stop talking about how veteran are the ones who should speak on this. This has nothing to do with them, or their service. Every article tries to put pressure on military personell to comment on their stance. Obviously, they have an obligatory answer to that question. That still doesn't dismiss the protest itself. And it's very disrespectful and demeaning, to see  those engaging in the protest to be labeled as misfits doing something nonsensical in order to insult and raise discord. That in itself, speaks of the racism at hand. So many people I've heard in stores and at local places, talk about how these players are causing trouble and it's bothering their  viewing of the games. Come out and say the truth. It is bothering your conscience. Because you are now being reminded of things that are wrong, that you agree with.

  I personally know of a few people I've dealt with in the past, who are flaming racists, but cheer for black stars on the basketball court and gridiron. This protest makes it harder for them to slide through the shadows, while participating in hateful acts and envying those they oppress at home on the television. That's what it's about. They all know good and well that it has nothing to do with feeling disrespected. No one seems to want to come out and say that, so I felt I had to .

  At first, I will make it clear, I was just as confused about the protest as the next person. Like I said, I don't protest myself. However, the more I've seen these events develop and play out, I notice it has been invaluable how much the protest has revealed. Without it, we would never have seen the sides of people that we are seeing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment