Sunday, September 21, 2014

Podcast 4- Yellowjackets Tribute

Podcast Episode 4- Yellowjackets Tribute

This band really inspired me and my work for many years. There's such versatility in their music and involvement. I tried to emulate that over the years. I remember the last album I bought of theirs was Timeline. I loved the album and actually shed over the entire thing. What really speaks of their lasting power, is that years after getting Timeline, I popped it in the other day and listened to it, and it sounded like a completely new album. I got so much more out of it. The sound pulls you in. Bob Minzter's solos evoke every emotion of the song upon you, and before long you can almost hear the message in words.

One thing I was taught at an early stage in music education is that improvisation has to be like story telling. My teacher used to say it's your chance during improvisation to tell your perspective on things, so make the most of it. Unfortunately, over the years, in the music industry, it's become very watered down and more of an academic exercise. If you ever listen to Wynton Marsalis, you hear how storytelling is supposed to sound in solos. I appreciate that he spreads that education to today's youth.  That's what I tried to do in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment