Thursday, January 15, 2015

Current Gen Systems.

I just purchased a PS Vita after about 2 years of debating and researching the device. I must say, when I look at the current state of both home and handheld consoles, I believe due to the increasing ignorance of the public, the video game industry is just about dead in all reality. They just announced that the Wii U will be bringing digital games to the market that may eventually include Gamecube games. Some people are wondering why this wasn't done before. The answer is obvious- its the consumer's fault. It's only just now that the public is beginning to embrace digital media in the game world. Why that took so long is beyond me. I wrote an article a couple of years ago talking about how today's society is almost solely reliant on digital media, from phones to tablets to computers. Yet, for some reason gamers have a hard time embracing that ideology when it comes to video game media. Mostly, it's due to the childish addiction to hoarding boxes of games and looking at them. They claim they doubt their ownership of downloaded games, which makes no sense. When you download your games digitally, you can store them on your own external hard drive at home, and have it saved indefinitely. You are not contracted to the game.

And you know what's funny? People will resist whenever you do the right thing these days. The PS Vita had a rough start, but started to get behind their support of 3rd party and indie games, as well as embrace the digital market like they should have at first. In days gone by, that approach would be met with consumer support and system purchases. However, in today's backwards and stupid world, people are outraged that Triple A titles aren't the main focus of Sony for the Vita. They want their Call of Duty and Battlefields. But you know what makes it even dumber? The Triple A titles being on both the consoles and the handhelds are the same exact reason why many consumers don't want to bother purchasing the Vita. They feel that they're better off playing on their consoles. In fact, some consumers have even said that it bothers them for their handheld to be of such high quality. You can't make this stuff up. People are amazingly stupid today, and the entertainment market is suffering due to that. I looked at the Vita market on PSN the other day, and I like what I see. They have taken the approach that many tablets and phones have with the digital Android marketplace. There are even some free, full indie titles. I checked the games to make sure I wasn't seeing things, and sure enough, you can download full games, even larger than 100mb which was the previous PS Mini limit. These are now completely unbridled indie developers, allowed to make ground-breaking titles for the Vita utilizing its technology to the fullest. That is a very good thing. I specifically said that the Vita needs to start having exclusives if it is going to survive. Forget about carrying over Triple A titles that exist already, and forget about sharing your titles with other markets. You need to have something of your own. We have Gravity Rush which looks to be a good series of games if it carries on.

 The game industry suck. I could go on and on about how the reason the Wii U is so ambiguous. I'm a neutral consumer when it comes to the Wii U. I don't know a lot about it. I was a Nintendo fan for many years. When the Wii U came out, which I feel was way too quick, I didn't know what the system was. For a while, I thought the gamepad was the system. Then I found out that it's an accessory. Looking at such a huge and sophisticated gamepad, I felt it should be a stand alone device. However, it is reliant on the system itself. The system has games, but doesn't even bundle the gamepad with the console. In the end, it's a fancy, and pricey controller. I appreciate the games Nintendo is releasing though. To be honest, it's sad that they are going down somewhat, because they are the last system to focus on video games. Every board you look at online is filled with power hungry idiots who point out pixel differentiation and texture nuances as if they are the size of mountains. They want power that they don't need. They shun the PS Vita because they can make out differences between it and the home consoles of this generation. Does that make any sense, when it's the same dual analog system that you people cried for for years, to the point of calling for the death of the PSP? It's sheer idiocy! I truly believe that the Vita will be the last console purchase I make. I'll enjoy the titles it has and what is slated for this year. It doesn't look like the support will hold out beyond 2016. If and when they release another follow up to this generation of handhelds, I won't be in the party. I'm sick of this do-over phase we are in. We kill a console because we feel we have something better on our hands. Then we release it and complain about it more than the former console. Rinse and repeat. I'm done. Until next time guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment