Monday, March 30, 2015

The Emptiness of Updates

I have another art gallery update in the works, but in the meantime, I have to comment on something I think is historically stupid. It's the topic of system and firmware updates on our devices. I've watched this process deteriorate and corrupt over the years.

 I remember the fact that updates, be they system updates or software updates, go back decades. However, in the beginning, they were not only optional, but for the overall benefit. Even Windows updates were not overdone back then, but only when necessary and provided greater service for your computer. We all agree that Windows 97 and XP were 2 of the best operating systems in history. This is sad, being that they are nearing 20 years old. I remember having to update my computer no more than 2 or 3 times back in the 90's, when I was actually making an effort to be a PC gamer. That was an interesting era where I played games such as "The Secret of Monkey Island," "Jazz Jackrabbit," "Kings Quest 7" and "Duke Nukem." I really enjoyed PC gaming at that time, and I remember my parents having a salesman over to explain the benefits of purchasing an ACES computer to help us kids study and do better in school. I laugh thinking about that now. I was already a bright kid, and still am. However, I have to applaud those efforts as well. I remember my parents purchasing the computer, as well as an Encyclopedia collection for me and my siblings to study with after school. I used them. I've always been that type of kid. I still remember mapping out the nervous system and the Brain in detail from studying the Encyclopedia, and playing some of the learning games that came with the computer. I wasn't a kid who totally wasted that stuff. However, I also recall when I first went online with AOL, and that famous dial-up jingle that we all know ringing in my ears. I immediately went to the free-game Arcade, and that's where I downloaded several games to play. I only had 1 or 2 issues where I needed to upgrade my software to run certain games like "Quake."

  Then we fast forward to the early 2000's when you still had updates that were optional and that provided programs to benefit your use. This transitioned over to gaming devices around 2005. I remember when I had the PSP at launch, and you had to have the latest firmware in order to run the current games. If you didn't have it, whatever game you purchased had the firmware upgrade built into the disc to be installed. These updates  brought us software that was cool, like the comic book viewer, the online radio, the Senseme Music app, etc. They were for a reason. Even in the early Xbox 360 days, the homescreen got a facelift with one of the updates and several apps as we know them today. But then after a few years, there was a transition. Suddenly, with one of the system updates on the PSP, it was announced that they would stop supporting the Radio function for the system, as well as ceasing the release of digital comic books. That sucked, but if you had the comic reader on your system, you were good with what you had, as long as you didn't erase it, which I stupidly did.


 Today, almost completely without the notice of people, updates have officially degraded to anti-piracy, and bullying technology. When you get an update these days, features that you like are often removed by force. You get no noticeable upgrades or software at all. In fact the only thing that your screen does is flicker. And they have consumers convinced that this is enhancing the performance of their games and software. No it isn't. It's the companies way of keeping track of your system, and maintaining the power to shut you down whenever they feel the urge. This bothers me moving forward in gaming. A lot of people keep asking when I'm going to get the new Playstation 4, and I can't seem to get it through to them the fallacy in gaming today. They are so convinced they are making out like a bandit. I explained to a gamer today, that Microsoft announced that they would be revamping the usage of the systems processing cells to promote enhanced gaming that can compete with the PS4. What this is an example of, is the ability of companies to avoid making new hardware. They have most people convinced that  they needed to upgrade systems to the new generation. The truth is that they could have squeezed today's graphics out of the older systems if they wanted to. To profit, they make new hardware, and charge insane prices for them. Also, today's software is hardly secure- and not from pirates, but from the companies. The other day, I went to transfer some pictures to my Vita, and got a message that I had to get an update to continue. It's the same message I get on my 360 from time to time. I have to accept the update, or I cannot continue use of my system. What bothers me is that this nonsense has now transitioned to offline. I'm okay with being blocked from online servers if I decline an update, but to tell me that I can't sit in the corner of my dungeon with my system and play solo to my heart's content, unless I let YOU- the developer, into my house and console for routine checks. I have a huge problem with that, as well as the fact that most of you don't have a problem with that. The government loves the fact that you all acquiesce to that crap. This is part of the motion to eventually lock down on every person like a prisoner in the near future. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but many feel that the fact that systems come with an onboard camera and a demand for constant online activity, is a passage for you to always be seen and monitored. There is something to that, especially when today's televisions also have online and camera support. And if you notice, tweaking these features has become less and less doable. Many times, features like online connection and cameras can be somewhat locked in on the device. Because of the convenience, most don't mind though. I personally have a problem with that, and because of that, I don't think I'll be moving forward in the gaming race. I don't mind missing out on the new horde of war and demon games anyway, so have fun with that kids.

 I just wish that there was a way to refuse these updates. The answer in the end may be to revert back to non-technology. Anyway, that was my little piece on this matter. Stay tuned for updates on the "Into Me" art gallery series. Peace.

3 comments: