Friday, August 19, 2016

Experimental Music and its nature

Originally, I was going to do a podcast on this, but with so little time to record one, and a lot on my mind, I had to just get to writing.

 As some may know, I have a new record that is getting reviewed by some outlets, called, "Standing Still Symphony X." Over the years, I think to some people it's become sort of redundant hearing me address new projects and endeavors. In reality, from PR executives, I've been notified that I haven't done enough footwork. So I definitely have not been excessive. I think part of the issue has been that I reach out to mainly a group of people who have either worked with me or lived around me, and often times that can blight the reception of your work.

 I wanted to record this record for a long time. And before that, I was disgusted with the idea of it. You see, it has a couple of phases. It took me a while to understand experimental music, and then it took another period of time for me to get the confidence to perform it. As a matter of fact, in the review that I got from No Depression, he really did a good job of pointing out a lot of things that I didn't really realize about myself. I really gained a new respect for the art of reviewing material to be honest. It also got me to thinking... I started writing earlier today when I was reading the review, and I find that there are a couple of constants I've noticed in the critiques. This is what I wrote:



  "Experiment -the title and theme of many of my works, though it remained a stranger for so long. We all put on costumes. We all wear something. When we're naked, we can't be anybody else. We are then our flawed essence. Experimental music isn't what's only for some people. Vulnerability and honesty are. It's spacial music where we can't hide, and in a world of costumes and assumptions, it's hardly welcome.."


 After all of this time, I realize why I love this kind of music, and the fact that it was my destination all along. I personally think it is a genre that anyone can do. What comes out is what will be different. Experimental music is bare naked music. So many people and artists rely on hiding behind conventional structure. The truth is that experimental music does not lack structure- the artist has to create his own. I really like the way the critic brought out the point. In fact, he said things in there that I still can't put in my own words. I urge people to check it out. I think the review from No Depression is the review that the mainstream audience needs to see. In so many ways, the minute that I made this album, I said to myself that this is the album version of me. That is exactly what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment