Thursday, February 5, 2015

Hope for the Playstation Vita

I know. I could have gotten on here and given an update on the Mayweather vs. Pacman negotiations, or the sad fact that Anderson Silva tested positive for 2 steroids prior to his comeback fight with Diaz, which further my arguments of how little of the so-called great we see is actually great, and also, there is a reason that big fights "have to" take place in Vegas. But I won't go there. I just don't feel inspired right now to talk about all of that.

 What came to my mind right now, is the power that consumers have for once, and don't realize. Back when the PSP was still alive, developers were in talks about releasing Oblivion for the PSP, and then there was also talk about a Shenmue remake on the portable console, or a carry-over to test the waters for a long awaited sequel. Neither of those happened, for various reasons. However, during those last few years, there was a site known as PSPminis.com, that I frequented along with many huge fans of indie projects, which were thriving at that time on the PSN market. This site, as well as a couple of other sites, were also frequented by the accessible Indie developers.

  I remember watching an Indie Developer movie on Netflix, and seeing the passion, and talent that these accessible people have. Some games, such as Meatboy have taken off and become huge franchises, which I'm sure encourages other small companies. At that time, on the Mini site, I asked around about a Shenmue spinoff possibly being made on the PSP by an Indie development group. They said that the idea was something that was somewhat going around, but that due to the limitations that Sony placed on the size and scope of the Indie market games, the games would remain limited, and projects like that wouldn't happen.

 Well, since then, the PSP mini website, which I think was huge in advertising and advocating the indie community, has been shut down. But also, in that time, we have seen the rails taken off of the developers. This is a time when the iron is hot. Sony, and it's main developing companies are lazy, and nonchalant about any big-time releases or exclusives for the handheld, and have relegated it to an accessory like the Wii U gamepad. Indie games have their own platform now, and are not restricted. They can be any size, and utilize the system as much as they want. Now is the time to stand up for the gaming community, and for the Indie developers to be the white night of this scenario. Games like Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, and Oblivion, are what is missing from the system, and now they can have them. No carry over titles. This is the time for Indie companies to step up and make something exclusive for the Vita. And nothing can block that.

 I've seen some games on the marketplace that are free, and have a ton of work put into them. I want to see more of that from these companies. I also want to see them become accessible again. We live in a celebrity society, where people don't want to be accessible and reasonable. They want to cut off fans to a degree, to avoid negativity. However, I think there was more hope when sites like PSP minis.com existed. You could give an idea to a developer directly, and have it considered. I saw a video the other day about the Pier Solar project that some developers embarked on for the Sega Genesis. I think things like that are awesome. I've heard about developers making games for the SNES, Genesis, and Dreamcast down to this day. That is a huge freedom that I think can produce great things once it's properly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment