Sunday, February 1, 2015

Superbowl Prophecy

You're friendly neighborhood Pariah checking in. This is once again, why you should tune into this blog and my other endeavors. Nobody is giving you the raw and true, the low down, and the unpretty like me these days. Let me briefly touch on this Superbowl before I hit the sack.

 Weeks ago, you can run back film on me and see me telling several people after the Patriots vs. Colts game, that the Patriots had something filthy up their sleeves, and there was more than just that team behind it. Once again, I was at my conspiracy theories. I wasn't very flagrant about it, but I did have a gut feeling that there was a reason for Deflate-Gate. Let me make this very clear- I suspected and stated that I suspected foul-play the minute I saw the blowout win over the Colts. This was before the deflated balls were discovered. And as usual, everyone looked at me like an idiot. The Patriots liked how they matched up with Seattle, as did I, and figured it would be an easy Championship, as long as they got past the tougher matchup in the Colts. That's where they were willing to cheat to succeed. One thing that I realized was that Tom Brady is now 37, and reaching the end of his career. He has always had a hype to live up to- being greater than Joe Montana, which I always thought was laughable. Until recently, I put Peyton above him by a margin as a quarterback. He has won all of his superbowls by a fieldgoal or less, and I've watched as each one was a borderline gift. Tonight's championship, which the Patriots won, was a flat out gift, but I wasn't surprised.

  I said, going into the game, that the Patriots wouldn't deflate footballs just to win 1 lousy game. They did it because they liked the way they matched up with the Seahawks- was my initial assumption. However, then I saw the constant Montana comparisons to Brady throughout the game, and a tight first half that became a see-saw battle. I told countless coworkers that I envisioned the Pats winning, and everyone looked at me baffled and saying that the Seahawks were going to blow the Patriots out. During the 4th quarter, after the Seahawks still had a 10 point lead with little time in the last quarter, Russell Wilson took the field. He only had to move the ball and run the clock. I specifically stated that the game was set up for the Patriots to win, and looked at my father-in-law and some other guests at the house to see their expression. They gave me this little side-eyed grin that made me laugh. And they did it several times, almost like everyone knows that I'm right deep down, but has to keep up appearances. It's no mystery that I predicted the game that far out, even before Superbowl week. It's also no mystery that I kept my prediction, even with the Seahawks were in clear control. In fact, after the Patriots took the lead, and the Seahawks marched down to the goaline with 2nd and goal and 40 seconds on the clock, you know what I said? I said, "Don't be shocked when something crazy happens right now." The room was almost silent when I said that, but no one payed me any attention. All they had to do was punch it in with Marshawn Lynch for a Championship. Yet, I knew that wasn't going to happen. Not because I'm a prophet, but because the script has become all too readable. The Patriots had to win, so that Brady can go out as an icon. They weren't going to let another cheating scam go by unrewarded. They cheated for a reason, and they had the game in the bag.

  So once again, like I said, I don't really ache over watching contests these days, because they've become very easy for me to read. However, for amusement, I will occasionally humor myself with watching the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment